Selective Upload but no download

I can’t seem to locate an answer on the forums.

Here’s what I am trying to do and what I bought Boxifier for.

I run a microsoft surface with an external sd card. I want to drop items on the external drive, and have them upload to dropbox automatically, then I want to remove them from the sd card and have them remain on dropbox.

I don’t want any changes on dropbox to control or effect anything on the sd card.

Many of these files are videos, they consume a great deal of space, so I need to remove them from the sd card to ensure I continuously have room on the card.

Can anyone help me achieve this???

Hi Matt,

By default, what you sync with Boxifier does not get downloaded to the local Dropbox folder. It’s one of the main promises of Boxifier: sync any folder to Dropbox without wasting space in the local Dropbox folder.

I don’t want any changes on dropbox to control or effect anything on the sd card.

Then you can check the “Protected” box so that the SD card becomes the “Master copy”, so if you make changes to Dropbox online, those changes will get rejected when they sync down to the SD.

Many of these files are videos, they consume a great deal of space, so I need to remove them from the sd card to ensure I continuously have room on the card.

After you sync a folder from the SD card, you go the Selective Sync settings of Dropbox and uncheck the corresponding subfolder of “Boxifier”. For instance, if you sync a folder called Matt, that would normally sync as a “Matt” subfolder of “Boxifier” folder in your Dropbox account. If you want to stop syncing it, then just uncheck the Matt subfolder of “Boxifier” in the selective sync settings. After you uncheck the folder, you can go to the Boxifier application and remove the folder from the interface. If you correctly unchecked the subfolder, it should have a gray link/chain icon. Removing a folder with the gray link icon from the Boxifier interface will not delete it from Dropbox. It will remain on Dropbox. It will just be removed from the list of folders to be synced by Boxifier.

Here is a post from three years ago describing how to achieve this step by step: