How does it work?

Hey there,

Is there any doc around explaining the technical aspects of Boxifier? A few simple concept explanations could probably help me answer some technical questions.

Some random questions :

• Does it use symlinks or the like?
  • Where are the files stored?
  • Are the files actually located inside the DB folder or just hacked in at application/filesystem level?
  • How does it interact with previous solutions based on folder symlinks? Is there a risk of infinite loops?
  • What happens in case of an external/remote drive crash? Do the files get deleted on server side?
  • What if I plug the same external drive on different computers running DB? DB and boxifier?

Does it use symlinks or the like?

No, Boxifier does not use symlinks.

Where are the files stored?

Files stay in place and they are synchronized without having to move or copy them to the Dropbox folder.

Are the files actually located inside the DB folder or just hacked in at application/filesystem level?

• On the computer where Boxifier is running: files are not located in the Dropbox folder.
  • On other devices: Dropbox will download them to the local Dropbox folder.

How does it interact with previous solutions based on folder symlinks? Is there a risk of infinite loops?

Symlinks can cause a lot of pain, so we don’t recommend using them. Dropbox does not recommend them either.

What happens in case of an external/remote drive crash? Do the files get deleted on server side?

No.

What if I plug the same external drive on different computers running DB? DB and boxifier?

You should be using a single computer to sync the external drive in order to avoid confusion.