Already synced folders on NAS are synced again after PC restart

Hi there!

My NAS folders are synced to my Dropbox successfully and I shutdown my PC. After starting Windows 8.1 again I can see all (!) folders in my synced NAS folders in sync status (blue overlay icon on each file) again.

Why?

Regards
Carsten

When you restart the computer, it could be possible that the files on the NAS have been changed in the meantime. That’s why they are re-indexed, so that it can detect any changes made to it. However, that doesn’t mean they get uploaded, they are just checked. Indexing is a necessary step of the sync process.

Razvan,

thanks for getting back. This indexing needs several hours to complete. Is it possible that during this time no other files are being uploaded?

Regards
Carsten

Yes, it could happen that syncing of other files could get slower while a huge number of files is getting indexed, but a solution for this is in the works. I will get back with more details as soon as it is ready.

Raven,

thanks for your help. I’am excited to see next version :wink:

Regards
Carsten

Hi Raven,

I have checked the behavior. I do never have a “all-in-sync” state. The indexing does take so much time that changed files are synced to dropbox only after a very long time.
And when I do not have mapped the NAS folders to my local PC the syncing of recently changed files will never happen. Dropbox is hanging at “indexing >= 100.000 files”.
IMO this behavior is mission critical. Is there a solution in near future? If not I consider to uninstall boxifier.

Regards
Carsten

In February I had a similar problem of indexing taking forever and hanging when indexing >= 100,000 files. The solution was a newer version of Dropbox and had nothing to do with Boxifier, even though the IT guys were trying to blame Boxifier.
The Dropbox version on the free site at that time was 3.0.5. The newer version which I found on the Dropbox Business website was 3.2.6. Once I installed the 3.2.6 version, all of the previous problems went away. It still took 10-12 hours to index and sync the 200 GB of files, but it solved the problem and has been working flawlessly since then.

Hi!

Thanks for your information.
I have updated my dropbox to 3.8.5 yesterday evening and now I’am waiting until > 100.000 files are indexed again. I will wait and come back with any further results.

@Razvan: when will new release will be available?

Regards
Carsten

Hi!

I have installed a new version of the dropbox client and it took aprox 10 hours to indexing all > 170.000 files. And then I saw the green “In Sync” status. Great.
I started my machine this morning and it took aprox 1,5 hours to download the filelist and now my PC started again to index > 170.000 files. Oh no.

@Razvan is this related to dropbox or to Boxifier? I had never so many files in my dropbox before so I can not answer this myself.

Regards
Carsten

Hi Carsten,

Just following up on this one. What is the current status?

Hi!

I have uninstalled Boxifier from my working machine. Every restart of my machine the indexing will take more than 12h so it tooks too long until the changed files are uploaded from my machine to dropbox.

Regards
Carsten

Just curious: how big was that folder you were trying to sync?

How many files and what was the total size?

I have added 5 folders using Boxifier.
These 5 folders are 76 GByte in size and aprox 161.300 files

Regards
Carsten